People are having a devastating impact on the planet. Habitat destruction, pollution and the pressures of growing populations are causing flooding, extinctions and global warming.
Environmental damage can affect the species and habitats we are trying to save, so we take our environmental responsibilities very seriously.
Reducing our environmental impact can save money, too - which is always good news!
Here's a link to a pdf document for Living Coast's environmental policy.
We have an Environmental Management System (EMS) certified to the internationally-recognised ISO 14001 standard. The main point of an EMS is to reduce the adverse environmental effects of running a business.
What do we do?
We have a recycling strategy to reduce the amount of waste we send to landfill. We recycle as much as possible, sorting the waste on site.
Visitors who come by public transport can receive a 10% discount on admission. We provide information about alternatives to car use here.
Some of the many environmentally-friendly technologies we have installed are: solar water heating, low energy lighting and toilets with waterless urinals, low-volume cisterns and automatic taps to help conserve water. We also use sea water from the Bay and have our own water treatment plant on iste to clean the water to bathing standards before we return it to the sea.
Shopping and eating
We understand the link between the items we buy and the effect their production has on people, animals and the environment. We have worked hard to only use products containing sustainable palm oil and buy MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) accredited fish from suppliers for use in our restaurant.
What can you do?
Small changes in the way we live can make a big difference to the environment. Here are some things you can do when you visit the Zoo:
- Travel by public transport or bicycle
- Look for Fair Trade products in our shop and restaurant
- Use the Good Fish Guide to ensure you are not eating endangered species
- Conserve energy - visit the Energy Saving Trust for energy saving ideas and grants.
- Conserve water - Visit southwestwater.co.uk for tips.
- Reduce waste, recycle more - Visit recycledevon.org for information.
- Stop junk mail by registering with the Mail Preference Service.
- Install a home energy monitor - it can have an instant and dramatic effect on how much electricity you use. Get ready to be amazed when you see how much energy a tumble dryer uses!
- Car share, use public transport, walk or cycle to cut down on emissions.
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW!
If you'd like to stay informed of new products, events and special offers then please join our mailing lists.SIGNUP HERE